Monday, February 13, 2012

Welfare Bums

Oh Facebook, Facebook, Facebook. 


It's a love/hate relationship some days. Especially when I scan my News Feed and come across something like this.  I could barely believe this when I saw it, and had to read it 2 or 3 times before I realized it said what it actually said.


I commented on the post, saying that while yes, there are most likely people who take advantage of government assistance, there are many many others who need to rely on it, sometimes for awhile.  


I used myself as an example. When I stopped working due to health reasons in the summer of 2010, I eventually went onto Ontario Works (my province's name for welfare). Did I want to do this? No. But was I healthy enough to go out and procure another job? Absolutely not.  Do many people receive welfare because they love not being able to work? My guess is that the number is far fewer than people realize. 


People who love sayings such as "I work hard so millions on welfare don't have to" have probably seen their neighbours - who are on welfare - buying an ice-cream cone for their kids or perhaps having to buy a new vehicle. This brings them to think, "Oh My God! They don't really need welfare! Why on earth am I getting up at 5:30 in the morning and working my ass off while John and Susan are eating ice-cream and driving a new car! (My guess is that it isn't a Rolls Royce.)


Maybe they should think twice before posting things like this, because although there may be comments explaining their reasoning below the posted picture on Facebook, this one is very overt and has a "Fuck you" feel to it.


Don't know what to get that welfare bum for their birthday? Try this! (there are also mugs, water bottles, t-shirts, and bumper stickers.)  






I'm sorry you hate your job, but making those who are on welfare feel like shit because they either just lost their job, can't find a job, or are ill is pretty low.


There's a bitterness here, and there's no need to spread it.


Mark Andrew Alward

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just because they're not buying a Rolls Royce doesn't make it right, I don't want to pay for a Chev, Ford, Dodge or Honda for these people. I have to scrimp to pay my own truck payment, how can they afford it? easy, work cash, collect welfare and live better than most. Any person on welfare that is able should be forced to work cleaning the streets, bus shelters whatever... at the very least surprise drug testing. Sad.

Anonymous said...

Most welfare recipients that I run across are lazy and could disqualify themselves if the would work as hard as I do. But, they do not and therefore they qualify. I hate them and would enjoy seeing them suffer by being cut off. If they put up a fight, kill them. They are recidivist thieves who deserve no quarter.

Mark Andrew said...

I won't respond to an attack with another attack, but the words you use here and the picture you paint is mean-spirited, ignorant, and hate-filled. I would suggest spending at least two weeks volunteering at a soup kitchen to see what kind of people are on welfare - people who want better for themselves and their children.