Sunday, March 25, 2012

I Choose Love

This was a responsive reading at Church of the Good Shepherd (Swedenborgian) this morning, and I thought I'd pass it on:

RESPONSIVE AFFIRMATION
 OF OUR COMMITMENT TO BE REAL
(adapted from Max Lucado's Grace For The Moment)

It's early...The day is coming.
It is now that I must make a choice.
Because of Jesus, I'm free to choose. And so I choose.
I choose love.
No occasion justifies hatred; no injustice warrants bitterness. Today I will love God and what God loves.
I choose joy.
I will refuse to see people as anything less than human beings, created by God. I will refuse to see any problem as anything less than an opportunity to see God.
I choose patience.
I will overlook the inconveniences of the world. Rather than complain the wait is too long, I will thank God for a moment to pray.
I choose kindness.
I will be kind to the poor, for they are alone; kind to the rich, for they are afraid; kind to the unkind, for that is how God has treated me.
I choose goodness.
I will go without a dollar before I take a dishonest one. I will be over-looked before I will boast. I will confess before I accuse.
I choose faithfulness.
Today I will keep my promises. Those closest to me will not question my love. Neighbours and strangers will not doubt my word.
I choose gentleness.
Nothing is won by force. If I raise my voice, may it only be in praise.
I choose self-control.
I am a spiritual being. I will impassioned only by my faith. I will be influenced only by my God.

Love, joy, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control:
to these I commit my day.
If I succeed, I will give thanks.
If I fail, I will seek His grace.
And then, when this day is done,
I will be content to rest in His peace.

No comments: