Tuesday, July 10, 2012

"Everything Happens For A Reason" & Other Clichés Christians Should Avoid


Over at the Huffington Post, Christian writer Christian Piatt has an article up containing 10 clichés that Christians should avoid when talking with non-Christians. Here are three of the ten:

1) "Have you asked Jesus into your heart?" As many times as I've heard this, I still don't really know what it means. Why my heart? Why not my liver or kidneys? This also makes Christianity sound like a purely emotional experience, rather than a lifelong practice that can never entirely be realized. But yeah, asking someone if they're engaged in a lifelong discipline to orient their lives toward Christlike compassion, love and mercy doesn't exactly have the same ring to it.


2) "Do you accept Jesus as your personal lord and savior?" Again, this is not in the Bible. Anywhere. And for me, it goes against the whole Christlike notion of the suffering servant. People tried to elevate Jesus to the status of Lord, but he rejected it. So why do we keep trying? Plus, the whole idea of a lord is so antiquated, it has no real relevance to our lives today. Be more mindful of your words, and really mean what you say.


3) "Jesus died for your sins." I know, this is an all-time Christian favorite. But even if you buy into the concept of substitutionary atonement (the idea that God set Jesus up as a sacrifice to make good for all the bad stuff we've done), this is a abysmal way to introduce your faith to someone. I didn't ask Jesus to die for me, and if I'm not a Christian, I really have no concept of how that could possibly be a good thing. The whole idea of being washed clean by an innocent man's blood is enough to give any person nightmares, let alone lead them into a deeper conversation about what Christianity is about.


For the other 7, please visit the article @ The Huffington Post.

No comments: