Saturday, November 24, 2012

The Anticipation of Christmas

Christmas Eve 2011
4:28pm - Saturday, November 24th, 2012
Kitchener, Ontario

I've spent the last hour or so tracking down the addresses of people that I'm sending Christmas cards to this year - just one of the things that I like doing around Christmastime. Currently I have Christmas music piped into my ears; everything from the modern (She & Him, Pomplamoose) to the endearing classics (Bing Crosby, Andy Williams, Nat King Cole) to the ethereal (Enya, Loreena McKennitt). I'd say that Christmas can't come soon enough, but there's something about the anticipation of it all, something in the waiting.  

There's also something very refreshing in knowing what I am going to be spending and what gifts I will be buying for my loved ones this year, so that I don't enter a mall and feel overwhelmed.

So far I have 2 Christmas parties to attend that I'm looking forward to, and I also can't wait to grab a blanket and curl up and watch Holiday Inn, White Christmas, Rudolph, A Christmas Carol, and It's A Wonderful Life. Mom and I might throw some hors d'oeuvres in the oven on Christmas Eve after attending a Christmas Eve service. 

But before I go down home to St. Thomas, it'll be the conversations held over egg nog latte's that I'll enjoy, and going to the annual service of Lessons and Carols at the Anglican church if I'm still in town.  If I can somehow find an egg-nog beer, I'll be in orgasmic bliss (just sayin').

It's still a month and a day away, but I am  thankful for this time to anticipate, to look forward to, when I'll see family, particularly my niece and nephew, brother and sister-in-law and mother.  I hope you find your own magical moments in the coming weeks.

Mark Andrew Alward

No comments: