Wednesday, June 27, 2018

It's Such A Good Feeling To Know You're Alive

Hi friends,

Late this afternoon I went to see Won't You Be My Neighbor, the "Mister" Fred Rogers documentary. Those of you who know me know that Mister Rogers continues to be a hero of mine to this day, so I was excited to learn more about him and to revisit my old friends including Daniel the Tiger, King Friday, Lady Aberlin, and Mr. McFeely.

For me, Mister Rogers in particular was a shining light, a beacon in an otherwise tumultuous, stormy childhood. I could also compare him to a lighthouse. When things were particularly chaotic in my household, and even to this day when I'm having trouble, I can always go back to Mister Rogers simple but vital message that "You are special exactly the way you are." It certainly wasn't a flashy show with lots of bells and whistles. Perhaps that is what made it special. Mister Rogers didn't talk down to children, but got onto their level and knew that kids are a lot smarter than sometimes we give them credit for. He tackled topics such as death and divorce, and somehow made me feel safe in his quiet, unassuming way.

There were a few times during the hour and a half documentary when I had tears in my eyes as his loving message penetrated through to my heart once again. As I was walking out of the theater, I thought "This is the kind of film that makes me want to be a better man." But I quickly corrected myself. This was a film that reminded me that I am already good, already special enough, just the way I am.

If you have a chance, go see Won't You Be My Neighbor. 

mark-andrew