Friday, August 25, 2023

Belonging To The Grand Human Family


Friday, August 25, 2023 4:23pm
Indigo Starbucks, Conestoga Mall Waterloo

The other night before I went to sleep I went on a deep dive into my old blogposts. If you look far back enough, there are posts going back to 2008 or 2009. I wrote a lot back then and in the ensuing decade about chasing your dreams, urging people that it wasn't too late to do so and to see them become reality. Oh, how very idealistic I was back then. Part of me misses that about myself, now that I am a bit more weathered with life.

Of course a lot of my posts are about religion, and Christianity specifically. Some of them are a little angry, reflecting that period of my life after I left evangelical Christianity where I felt the need to distance myself from almost everything that I had once believed in. But most of all, it is the frequency of the posts that I noted. Back in the day I would take my laptop to a coffee shop and sit with my coffee and write down whatever thoughts were in my head. Sometimes I'd be there for hours. I never do that anymore, and I miss that. 

So today, I find myself sitting at Starbucks with my grandè Pike Place roast, having resisted the temptation to order the newly in-stock pumpkin drink - that can wait til September at the very least. While I don't have my laptop with me (which is falling apart again), I do have my smartphone and there's this handy Blogger app, so I thought I would write for a bit.

I have been thinking a lot about belonging lately, and how most of us feel the need to belong to something or someone. Just over three years ago now I posted a Facebook post declaring that I was returning to Christianity in some sense, albeit not to the conservative evangelical version that I grew up with. One of my reasons for doing so was because Christianity is familiar to me. Indeed it was my home, my reference point for the first 20+ years of my life. Another reason why I took up the label "Christian" again is because it bothered/bothers me how many hear that word and immediately think of the conservative evangelical/fundamentalist brand of it. I didn't want that to be the case. I still don't. 

I started to check out a local church and attended sporadically, but honestly I've found it challenging. Here's where I say the quiet part out loud: I left behind my belief in a supernatural God and supernaturalism altogether almost 20 years ago, and I've never regained it. Thus, all the God talk that is naturally found in Christian churches is almost like a foreign language to me. It's a language I once spoke and fluently, but one that I have little desire to pick back up. 

Prayer is another thing that I don't believe in, which is a natural extension of not believing in a Supreme Being who can hear said prayers. 

The Bible is not a book that I gravitate toward at all anymore. Perhaps that is a natural result of growing up worrying that if I didn't pray and read the Bible everyday that I would somehow be out of God's good graces. 

All of this leaves me wondering "What keeps me calling myself a Christian then?" Honestly, as I sit here sipping on my Pike Place, I am awfully close to shedding the label again because there really isn't that much keeping me there. The values of Jesus, such as love, kindness, mercy, gentleness, compassion - the fruits of the Spirit if you will - they appeal to me and I find them laudable for sure. But if I ask myself "Am I devoted to Jesus?" or if I ask myself in situations "What Would Jesus Do?" then the answer is no to both.  For me, the truth is that all those laudable qualities that I just listed above, they are not merely Christian qualities. They're human qualities. Atheists, Buddhists, Muslims, Agnostics, Jews, you name it - they are often just as loving and compassionate as followers of Christ.

So maybe it will be the case that, while I undoubtedly will always be highly interested and fascinated with Christianity, the only label I'll really use and need going forward is that of human. I belong to the interdependent web of all life, and that's enough. I must admit it is sad to think of leaving my "home" once more. While I may and will go back and visit from time to time, I no longer take up residence there. 

Thanks for reading this. Perhaps I'll force myself to write again more often to keep the depression at bay.

mark-andrew

No comments: